Welcome to KDDC
Home of the Mustangs
Criteria for Advanced Middle School Courses School Year 2018-2019
Sumner County Schools (SCS) believes in the integrity of evaluating students based on both quantitative and qualitative data; to that end, the following measures and percentages will be used to determine placement in advanced middle school courses:
50% - A standards-based, grade level screener 25% - The student’s grades in English, language arts and math 25% - Current English, language arts and math teacher recommendations
Placement in any advanced middle school course will be dependent on the overall rubric score for each content. As in previous years, SCS will still offer Advanced I and Advanced II in eighth grade math.
All students in grades five through seven will be screened for both English language arts and math. This is not a state assessment and is in no way tied to the TNReady state standardized assessment. This screening is for SCS placement purposes only and will not be used as a part of a student’s grade or final exam in their current class.
All SCS fifth grade students will take the screener between March 1, 2018, and March 16, 2018. All SCS sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students will take the screener between March 1, 2018, and March 21, 2018. For specific dates within each window, please contact your child’s school directly.
Abby Brosche, Ed.S Thomas Spears Middle School Instructional Coordinator Middle School Instructional Coordinator Sumner County Schools Sumner County Schools 615.451.5235 615.451.5222
Important Upcoming 8th Grade Dates:
· Wednesday, Feb. 21st: BHS counselors come to KDDC to speak with students.
· Thursday, Feb. 22nd: 8th Grade field trip to visit BHS (during the school day)
· Thursday, Feb. 22nd: 6:30 pm Parent Night at BHS.
Registration meetings will be scheduled on this night.
· February 28th-March 2nd: BHS counselors will come to KDDC to conduct student registration meetings (8:00am-3:00 pm). Parents are invited to attend the meetings. The meetings will last about 20 minutes and its at this time that the students will register for their high school classes.
· Saturday, March 10th-Thursday, March 15th: Washington DC trip.